"NYCT on the SIRT North Shore Branch"
The New York Container Terminal (NYCT) Express Rail train, with GMTX 173 leading, pulls a cut of garbage cars to far east end of what remains of the Staten Island Railway's North Shore Branch. Staten Island's Summerfield United Methodist Church stands in the background. The North Shore Branch was opened in February 1886 and operated along Staten Island's North Shore from Saint George to Port Ivory. Passenger service ended in March of 1953, and freight service ended sometime in 1989 when the line was abandoned. In 2005, freight service on the western portion of the line in Arlington was reactivated for container traffic. This included the Arthur Kill Vertical Lift Bridge, Arlington Yard and a small single track portion of the branch on the east end of the yard to use for headroom (pictured).